Tuesday, December 1, 2009

November...2009....Responsibility

The Relief Society message for the month of October in the Ensign was about nurturing the rising generation. As I read it, I felt a great responsibility to help in the effort of raising a righteous posterity and in helping in the community to do the same for the children that surround us. I remember what a profound influence some of my teachers and relatives had on me as I grew up. I'll always be grateful for the nurturing of those adults in my life when I was young. How necessary and how important it is that as adults we do all we can to help the children.....to love them and teach them right from wrong and be an example to them.

Lloyd D. Newell in one of his spoken word addresses said these words: "Almost instinctively we know that the children entrusted to us require even greater care...and are of far greater worth...than whatever else we may acquire. Taking the time to show love, to be kind, to listen thoughtfully may not always be easy or convenient, but, when we encircle our children with the best of ourselves, they will...as will we...be blessed."

Susan Revit, Bayville, NY wrote on this subject:
"I always wanted a white shag rug, I thought it would look nice.
Then I had my first child...that made me think twice.
I always wanted some Lenox pieces to put on the table and admire..
and then we had our first child and I opted for a clothes dryer.
I always wanted glass top tabletops and crystal like a bell..
and then I had our first child and thought plastic would do just as well.
I wanted so many things and always wished for them, but
when I saw my first child, I wanted children so much more."

Erma Bombeck wrote an article years ago telling the women who were housewives to stand up and be counted...that being a housewife and a mother is one of the most important jobs in the world. She wrote she is not a materialistic person. She never had a favorite dress, a lucky dinner ring, a classic car or anything she valued as a collector. If someone breaks into her house and finds money...let him have it. But don't touch her photo albums of her babies or as they grew. She says further that any intruder taking the pictures of her family will not make it to the door. I'd say she took the responsibility of being a mother to heart and loved it and wanted to perserve the memories.

As we search to be successful in our lives and as we ponder the things we can do to help influence the lives of those younger than we, we would do well to consider the great responsibility of being an example of righteous living and giving.

Words to live by:
More often than we ever expect, other lives our lives affect.
If it is to be....it is up to me!
The rules for success won't work, unless you do.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will do.
You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Service is love in work clothes.

FARMS - The Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies had an article in their magazine a few years ago that I clipped out and kept. It said,"The premortal house of Israel was arranged into saving relationships. No one in our lives is there by accident. The family is central to the Creators plan for the eternal destiny of His children. All activities in life as in the church are designed by our Heavenly Father so we can have a saving influence on each other. Indeed, it sems that God has assigned a valiant spirit to break the chain of destructiveness in some families, likewise a rebellious spirit sometimes to a choice family that he might be saved." In view of what that paragraph says, we all need to labor diligently and take on the responsibility of working toward saving ourselves and then loving and extending our help to those in our realm of influence.

Responsibility: The definition is a duty, a charge or an obligation. We have the choice of what we feel responsible for, but certainly we have an obligation to all those around us to be the best we can be. After the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints this past month I feel more the responsibility we have as members of His church to show forth more love and caring. It seemed every talk was based on showing a Christlike love for those around us. It is my hope that we can follow that counsel. With love, Maurine Winters

No comments: