Tuesday, July 7, 2009

SIMPLIFY....JULY NEWSLETTER...2009

My sister, Janett Morrell, recently went to an estate sale for a woman who had passed away leaving everything to her brother and his wife. As she visited with them and saw the huge amount of things available for the buyers, she understood their dilemna with what to do with all of the material possessions this woman had left for them to go through and decide what to do with. They had a shed, a garage and numerous rooms in the house all filled to the maximum. How were they to dispose of it? Most of us have way too much stuff in our homes and the attached buildings and to leave them for another family member to deal with when they have all of this stuff in their own home is overwhelming.

Several years ago our oldest son was living next door to an elderly gentleman. When he passed away there were two nephews who came to dispose of the property. They brought a moving van and gathered the things of worth to them and packed them up to take back to California. The house was still full of stuff. Because of time limitations they asked our son to take the rest of the things to the city dump. They would pay him to clean it out, so they could put the house up for sale. He was a young married man and could use some of the things they were purposing he take to the dump. He told them he would do it for nothing if he could keep the things he could use. The deal was made and much of the furniture that was left was a great blessing to our son and family. However, I know that the things of most worth when he passed away were the feelings of love they had developed for him. They have talked of that friendship and their esteem for him many times since.

Above experiences and others I've had cause to remember, remind me that all we can take with us is what we have learned and what we have done, or in other words what we have in our mind and heart and how we have treated those around us. I've decided that if someone admires something I have...I will give it to them. If my children or grandchildren need something I will offer them mine...if they will take it...it's theirs. I have too much stuff and yes, some of it will be hard for me to give up because it has such sentimental value to me...my children or someone else will have to dispose of those things. Most of you readers are younger than I and there are things you would like to have as I did at your age. I can assure you those things you acquire over the years will not bring happiness. They may bring a certain satisfaction for a short time, but never joy and happiness. The things of sentimental value to me are the things others have given me. They represent the feelings of love we have for each other and are more precious than any of the things I have acquired through the efforts of myself or my good husband. The love we share and our family is of so much more value.

Recently I read the account of one of the survivors of the Hudson River Plane Crash. She said that as she stood on the wing of that airplane waiting to be rescued many things passed through her mind. She recognized that life is not about many of the things we do, the errands we run, etc. ...she said that now she would hug those she loved until they let go. She would definitely view life differently. Shouldn't we all take a moment to think of those things in our life that are priceless and place less importance on the stuff we are accumulating or the stuff we are doing each day and more on the things of greater worth. I won't deny that it is wonderful to live at this time in the history of the world when we have so many conveniences to enjoy. I would be hard- pressed to give up hot and cold running water in the house, a furnace for heat in the winter and cool air in the summer, a refrigerator, a clothes washer and dryer, a microwave, a recliner, a nice car, a computer and the list goes on. I know however, we should be mindful especially now when the second coming of the Savior of the world is imminent and as we prepare for His coming to think more of the things of eternal worth and dwell on accumulating them rather than the things of this world.

Yes, we all need to simplify!! Perhaps one of the best ways we can do that is to put our efforts in this life into collecting:
(1) words of kindness, of encouragement, of love and support.
(2) feelings of acceptance, of understanding and of forgiveness.
(3) smiles, hugs, listening skills and time to share...all of which can be dispursed to those around us as we associate with our families and friends and even those we scarcely know. I dare say our lives would be full and purposeful and bring us much joy and happiness in return. With these thoughts I send my love to you, Maurine Winters

No comments: